Kashmir still under curfew, boy hurt in stone pelting | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kashmir still under curfew, boy hurt in stone pelting

india Updated: Sep 14, 2013 18:52 IST
HT Correspondent

Curfew continues for the third day in Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama following the killing of a youth by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).

In all, five people have been shot dead in the district's Gagren village since last Saturday. While the CRPF claimed that they were militants, locals insisted the deceased were locals with no militant links.

Residents had defied curfew and staged a demonstration in the village on Friday. They were demanding that the CRPF camp should be removed and the government replace CRPF personnel with the police force.

"Curfew continues in Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama towns. In other parts of the Valley, there is no curfew," a police spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, life was crippled as shutdown is being observed across the Valley against violence in Shopian. Senior separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a two-day shutdown till Sunday. "This will convey a message to end the forced occupation in Kashmir," he said.

Shops, schools and business establishments remained closed and traffic was affected. Violent clashes have been reported from Gojwara, Safakadal and Rajouri Kadal localities in old quarters of Srinagar.

According to a police spokesperson, an 11-year-old boy Waheed Malik of Hajan in north Kashmir was injured during stone pelting. "He was on his way from Hajan to Bandipora, where he works as a waiter in a restaurant. He was seriously injured in the eye by a stone pelted by miscreants in the main market of Bandipora. He has been referred to hospital," the police statement said.

In another incident at Nasoo Bandipora, a person was injured in a clash between stone pelters and people, who objected to the act of stone pelting. He has been referred to hospital, the police have said.