Kashmir tense after Baramulla killings | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kashmir tense after Baramulla killings

india Updated: Jun 30, 2009 11:58 IST
Highlight Story

Curfew continued in Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla town for the second day and restrictions were extended to other places in the valley on Tuesday, a day after two protestors were killed in clashes with police following an allegation by a woman that she had been harassed by cops.

The row that had triggered widespread protests on Monday led to restrictions also being imposed in Sopore town and parts of the summer capital Srinagar.

The hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Geelani has also called for a three-day valley-wide shutdown against the Baramulla incident and the delay in identifying the culprits involved in the murder and rape of two women in Shopian town whose bodies were found on May 30.

The shutdown call affected normal life in Srinagar and other parts of the valley with educational institutions, banks, businesses and markets remaining shut and public transport off the roads.

Besides two people being killed, at least 10 protestors were also wounded when police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) opened fire to quell agitated mobs Monday in Baramulla, 50 km from Srinagar, on the Srinagar-Muzaffarbad road.

The district magistrate of Baramulla has ordered an enquiry into the firing incident and also into the allegation of harassment against police.

Police have vehemently refuted the accusation.

A police officer said the had come to the police station seeking the release of her husband who had been picked up in connection with the abduction of a minor girl from the town.

The husband had facilitated the abduction and it was on his interrogation that police traced the girl and her abductor, the officer said.

"She had come to seek the release of her husband to the police station. She was told that he was involved in the kidnapping and could not be released without a court order.

"She left the police station alleging that the station house officer (SHO) had demanded bribe from her and later changed the statement and said he had asked her to come to his room," the police officer told IANS.

The father of the minor girl who was rescued by police told media that he was present inside the police station when the woman came there.
"All her allegations are false. In order to take the public attention away from her husband's involvement in my daughter's kidnapping, she resorted to false allegations against police," he said.