Kerala priest abducted in Yemen is safe, says govt official

  • IANS, Thiruvananthapuram
  • Updated: May 18, 2016 10:45 IST
Tom Uzhunnalil, a Catholic priest from Kerala, was abducted after militants attacked an elderly care home run by the Missionaries of Charity in Yemen (File Photo)

A priest from Kerala, who was abducted in Yemen, is safe and efforts to secure his release have reached their last stage, a government official said on Wednesday.

Catholic priest, Tom Uzhunnalil, is safe and has spoken to his church’s authorities, the official told IANS.

“ It is now clear that the priest is not in the custody of the Islamic State (IS) terror group but with anti-government forces in Yemen. Last minute efforts are underway and his release is imminent,” the official said.

Read | Over 40 Indians abducted by IS, kin living on Centre’s assurances

In March, armed militants barged into an elderly home set up by the Missionaries of Charity in 1992 and killed dozens, including four nuns -- one of whom was Indian.

The militants abducted Uzhunnalil and there was no news of him until last week.

The Vatican, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the local Indian community in Yemen are all working hard to secure his safe release.

Read | Missing Indian priest in Yemen abducted by ‘terrorists’: Sushma Swaraj

also read

Gaddar protests against repression in song
Show comments