The number of tourists visiting Kinnaur has declined according to the statistics available with the tourism department of the district. This year only 566 sightseers visited the district from January till August 27, thereby affecting the tourism sector of the district.
Rain caused massive damage in Kinnaur on June 16-17, people living in around 40 houses, declared unsafe due to constant landslides after the recent devastation, were moved to safer places. This has resulted in the number of foreign as well as domestic tourists tumbling to 178 from July to August.
In 2012, the tourist influx to the district between January and December had been 1,890 and 1,571 travellers visited the district from June to December.
Last year months of June and August alone had a footfall of 1,315 tourists, while this year the footfall has declined to 315 tourists.
However, with the delay in restoration of roads and poor road connectivity has further aggravated the apple cart.
Also having affected the ambitious home stay scheme of the tourism industry, there are almost no takers.
Payre Lal, properiter of Negi Cottage, under home stay scheme said the road to Sangla was opened on September 7. Almost all the tourism service had been affected.
Recently, the tourism sector had to cancel the bookings of the adventure lovers as the Hindustan Tibet Road in the upper belt of the district remained block for almost nine days.
Chander Mohan, a proprietor in the Monk travel agency, said tourism industry had suffered a lot as a result natural calamity owing to which tourists had shown reluctance to visit Kinnaur.
"Sangla valley having lost road connectivity and also the upper belt of Kinnaur remaining blocked intermittently has witnessed cancellation of the tourists' bookings that cover the circuit packages and include Sangla, Kalpa enroute Kaza, Manali," he said.
"The Uttrakhand devastation has also instilled a kind of fear amongst the tourists that mountains are not safe," Mohan added.