Kupwara encounter: Injured soldier dies, locals protest militants’ death | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kupwara encounter: Injured soldier dies, locals protest militants’ death

india Updated: May 22, 2016 19:47 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Kupwara encounter

Army officers display the arms and ammunition recovered from the five militants who were killed in an encounter in J-K’s Kupwara on May 21, 2016. One of the two army soldiers, injured in the gunbattle, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.(PTI)

An army soldier, who was wounded during an encounter with militants in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Saturday, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.

An army spokesman said Naik Gawade Pandurang Mahadev sustained head injuries during the gun fight in Chak Drugmulla village of Kupwara and was evacuated to 92 Base Hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his injuries on Sunday.

“He made a supreme sacrifice while fighting valiantly with the terrorists in Drugmulla village on May 21,” the spokesman said.

The mortal remains of the soldier will be flown to his village in Sindudurg district of Maharashtra after necessary formalities.

Security forces said that five militants were killed and two soldiers were wounded in a fierce gun battle in Drugmulla on Saturday.

Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in the funeral of the five militants, who were killed in the encounter.

‘Staged gunfight’

On Sunday, thousands of people from the villages of Kupwara converged at Chak Drugmulla to participate in the funeral procession of the militants amid pro-freedom slogans.

After the militants were laid to rest in the morning, locals took to streets to protest.

Some locals alleged that the militants were killed in a “staged gun fight”. They said that the state of dead bodies indicated that “they might have been killed a week back”. “The marks on the bodies of the militants do not indicate that they were killed today. It seems they have been killed 6-7 days ago and brought here,” the residents alleged.

However, superintendent of Police Kupwara, Aijaz Ahmad denied the allegations. “This is not true,” he said.

He said that the militants were foreigners and seem to have infiltrated recently.

Meanwhile internet services were also suspended in Kupwara district as authorities feared that situation could escalate owing to the spread of rumours.