Lankan army chief hopes to resume work
Lt Gen Sarath Fonseka, who was severely wounded in a suicide attack last month, hopes to resume his duties in three weeks.india Updated: May 15, 2006 16:08 IST
Sri Lanka's army commander who was wounded in a suicide bomb attack last month said on Monday he is healing fast and hopes to resume his duties in three weeks.
"Within three weeks I hope to go to my office," Lt Gen Sarath Fonseka said by telephone from the military hospital where he is being treated.
"I don't have any disability and my body is functioning well," he said.
According to investigators, a woman blew herself up in front of Fonseka's car on April 25 inside Sri Lanka's well-fortified military headquarters complex. The bomber had pretended to be pregnant to avoid security checks.
At least 12 other people, mostly Fonseka's bodyguards, died in the blast, which sparked government retaliation against the Tamil rebels, shaking a four-year ceasefire and pushing Sri Lanka closer to a resumption of full-scale civil war.
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels have fought the government since 1983 to create a separate state for ethnic minority Tamils accusing majority Sinhalese of discrimination.
More than 65,000 people were killed in the conflict before the Norway-brokered truce signed in 2002.