Liberhan Commission gets extension for 3 months
The commission, set up to inquire into the demolition of the Babri mosque, has been extended by 3 more months.india Updated: Jan 02, 2007 13:14 IST
The term of Liberhan Commission, set up to inquire into circumstances leading to the demolition of the Babri mosque at Ayodhya, has been extended by three more months, Home Ministry sources said.
The term of the Commission, headed by retired Justice Manmohan Singh Liberhan, was to end on December 31 last year.
The panel was appointed within a fortnight of the demolition of the structure at the disputed site on December six, 1992 to inquire into the circumstances that led to the incident.
Home Minister Shivraj Patil had said in Lok Sabha earlier this year that the commission would submit its report and the role of all leaders involved would be out in the open.
The report assumes significance in view of upcoming elections to the Uttar Pradesh assembly this year.
The sources said time would be given to the commission to finalise its report and additional staff is likely to be provided to it for this purpose.