Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed a rally in Uttar Pradesh’s Saharanpur on Thursday to mark the second anniversary of the NDA government.
6:23pm: Modi ends his speech at the rally in Saharanpur.
6:23pm: Highlights of PM Modi’s speech
- Retirement age of government doctors will be raised to 65 years.
- I appeal to doctors to dedicate 12 days per year for free treatment to poor expecting mothers.”
- “If India’s girl child is not empowered how can the nation be?”
- “Government not meant to loot people.”
- “Our government has doubled the pace of construction of roads.”
- “This govt makes double the roads, the previous govt used to construct.”
- Not a single corruption charge against us in 2 years.
- I ask the people of UP have they ever heard that Modi govt has taken bribes. Not even our rivals can accuse of corruption.
- “We have started work to double the income of farmers by 2022.”
- “My government is working for the poor.”
- “I warn sugar mills that you won’t be allowed to do what you have doing in the past.”
- “Merely throwing crumbs at farmers was is not our way of working. We are trying to solve the problems the farmers face.”
- We have given importance to building schools, hospitals, roads and transforming lives of the poor.”
- “Have made sure that states have more access to finances than before.”
- “This country is changing, but some people are not.”
- States get all 65% of funds, government in Delhi has just 35%.
- “My biggest decision has been to put money in the hands of state governments.”
- “From the Red Fort I had said that I am your Pradhan Sevak & I will remain in service of the 125 crore people of India.”
- “My government is committed to work for the poor. We have taken up tasks which will strengthen the poor to fight poverty.”
- I have come here to give an account of my work. I am your pradhan sewak.
- “I am coming to you at a time when, exactly at this time 2 years ago we were taking the oath of office.”
- “I am from Uttar Pradesh, I am an MP from Uttar Pradesh.”
- PM Modi begins his speech at the NDA government’s rally in Saharanpur.
5:30pm: Highlights of Rajnath Singh’s speech
- “Transparency in governance has been our hallmark.”
- “Uttar Pradesh was key to BJP’s 2014 mandate.”
- “Under new crop insurance scheme, all loss to farmers will be covered.”
- “Crop insurance scheme is a revolutionary step, PM Modi feels deeply for the farmers of the country.”
- “We know our accountability to people. We will continue to give account of our work.”
- “No allegations of corruption against Modi govt. We don’t want to do politics by shying away from public.”
- Union home minister Rajnath Singh addressing the rally in Saharanpur.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Saharanpur.
Uttar Pradesh: PM Modi arrives in Saharanpur to address a rally on the second anniversary of NDA govt. pic.twitter.com/i29dQIvwYM— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) May 26, 2016
Saharanpur is the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)’s bastion which shares its boundary with BJP-ruled Haryana and Congress-ruled Uttarakhand. The BSP holds four of the seven assembly seats in the district. Party chief Mayawati had also once contested polls from Haroda (now Saharanpur rural).
The BJP is focusing on denting the BSP’s hold. In the past week, it has managed two defections from Mayawati’s party. Three days after former Saharanpur MP Jagdish Rana joined the BJP, former BSP minister Vinod Tejiyan also switched sides.
A BJP insider said that more BSP leaders are expected to embrace the BJP closer to the elections.
However, a local political observer said the real battle will depend on how BJP tackles the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP).
“While the BJP has been attacking the BSP and the Congress, which also holds two seats after winning the recent Deoband assembly by-poll, it remains to be seen if the PM, whose government has largely been treating the UP’s SP government with kid gloves so far, steps up the heat on the state’s ruling party,” he said.