LTTE warns SL Govt on air raids | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2018-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

LTTE warns SL Govt on air raids

LTTE leader, SP Tamilselvan, denied his organisation's role in Thursday's brutal attack, reports PK Balachandran.

india Updated: Jun 24, 2006 12:12 IST

The LTTE has "sternly" warned the Sri Lankan government that it may be "forced" to retaliate for the air raids conducted by the Sri Lankan Air Force following the claymore blast in Kebethigollawa on Thursday in which 64 civilians including 15 children were killed.

In a statement on Saturday, the LTTE's political wing leader, SP Tamilselvan, said that his organisation had been wrongly accused of committing the brutal act.

"We categorically deny the accusation that the Tigers attacked the civilian passenger bus in Kebithigollawa. The Tigers were not behind the claymore attack. I repeat, the Tigers were not behind the brutal act," he said.

"We are aware of the forces attempting to marginalise the Liberation Tigers further from the international community. They (forces opposed to the peace engagement) have designed the terror attack on civilians to further inflame the situation, and to facilitate a full outbreak of war," Tamilselvan said.

The LTTE's political commissar described the air raids, which followed the blast and continued for two days, as being "irresponsible, provocative and a violation of the Ceasefire Agreement."

Tamilselvan condemned those countries, which had "hastily" issued statements condemning the LTTE, "without understanding the complex issues on the ground."

In a warning sent through the Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission (SLMM) and the Norwegian Peace Facilitator, the LTTE said that it could retaliate for the air raids and the artillery shelling.

"The Tamil leadership has forwarded a stern warning to Colombo that the LTTE would be forced to retaliate," Tamilselvan said.