Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt on Tuesday said he abides by the Supreme Court's decision against suspending his conviction in a criminal case to enable him to fight Lok Sabha elections, but added that Lucknow remains "my home".
"I respect the decision of the honourable court. I am a law-abiding citizen and I really appreciate that the honourable court absolved me of TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act) charges," Dutt told reporters here.
He, however, added: "I am not going to leave Lucknow. Lucknow is my home whether I fight this election or not. This is my father's place and I owe a lot to Lucknow. I am not going to leave Lucknow no matter what happens."
Asked if his wife Manyata would now fight elections, he said: "This decision would be taken by (Samajwadi Party leaders) Mulayam Singhji and Amar Singhji. It's my duty that I stand besides them lifelong.
"Whosoever will be the new (Samajwadi Party) candidate will be my candidate. This is my seat and will remain forever," Dutt added.
The Samajwadi Party had earlier announced Dutt as its candidate for the Lucknow seat. If he cannot contest, then his wife will be the candidate, the party had later said.
Lucknow was represented in the outgoing Lok Sabha by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee of the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), who is not contesting this time due to advancing age.
Dutt has been convicted of holding illegal arms in the run-up to the 1993 Mumbai serial bombings.