Maharashtra govt accords Z-plus security to Anna Hazare

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Aug 21, 2015 14:04 IST

Maharashtra government has accorded Z-plus security cover to social activist Anna Hazare in view of threats to him.

Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis cleared the proposal put up by the scrutiny committee, headed by chief secretary, which recommends the security cover based on the threat perception to the person.

The anti-corruption crusader has been denying the security cover claiming he does not feel any threat to his life. He had refused the cover in April 2014 when he received threat calls from an unknown person.

The decision of upgrading the security cover to Hazare was taken by the committee in its recent meeting.

Hazare had received a threat letter earlier this month which said that he will meet the fate of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar if he continued to support Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia.

It also asked the Gandhian to stay put in his native village, police said.

The letter which was received by Hazare's office was written in English, Hindi and Marathi.

"It is a handwritten letter and we are unable to see postal stamp properly to trace out its origin", sources in Hazare's office said. It has been handed over to the police for further investigation.

Hazare has received threatening letters in the past but government provided him security after Pansare's killing in February this year. A permanent police troop is deployed in his village. The police had also asked the social activist to shift to a safer place.

also read

Fadnavis missed chance to show ‘56-inch chest’ govt in place: Sena on film row
Show comments