Maharashtra will honour quota judgement | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Maharashtra will honour quota judgement

india Updated: Jul 07, 2009 02:32 IST
HT Political Bureau
HT Political Bureau
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The High Court judgement on quashing the government resolution (GR) on the 90:10 quota will be respected by the government.

This was the first reaction that came from the Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan after the much-awaited verdict was announced.

“In my opinion, now we should not go in appeal but proceed with the admission process on the basis of common merit," said Chavan on Monday.

The 90:10 quota GR which was brought in on June 18 aimed at bringing in a system which sets aside 90 per cent seats for SSC students, leaving 10 per cent seats for students of other boards. This was done following complaints that apart from SSC, students from other boards like ICSE and CBSE get higher percentages giving them an advantage in junior college admissions.

Reacting to the fact that the Bombay High Court on Monday quashed its controversial reservation formula, observing it was "arbitrary and illegal" and also framed for "political" reasons, Chavan said, "I do not want to comment on the order. But as far as the government is concerned, we had formulated the quota on the basis of number of students. Also, the issue was not lack of seats, but getting into reputed colleges."

Education Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil who was in USA, said the government would carefully go through the judgement and take a decision on the further course of action by Wednesday when he comes back. He did not rule out the possibility of going into appeal." But we will take a decision in larger interest of students.”