Major fire in rly coach workshop
A MAJOR fire broke out in the Railway Coach Rehabilitation Workshop at Nishatpura during the night intervening Tuesday and Wednesday.india Updated: Jun 29, 2006 14:13 IST
A MAJOR fire broke out in the Railway Coach Rehabilitation Workshop at Nishatpura during the night intervening Tuesday and Wednesday.
It took almost twelve hours for fire fighters of Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) to control the blaze. Over a dozen fire tenders had been pressed into service.
Though the exact cause of the fire could not be ascertained, Chief Workshop Manager SK Prasad said the scrap in the Industrial Waste Yard on the workshop premises caught fire.
The lack of adequate water in the workshop badly affected the firefighters’ efforts and it took a long time before the fire could be put out.
Prasad said the scrap containing useless wood and sawdust was burnt in the fire. In fact, the scrap had been sold out but the buyer had failed to lift it.
Sources said the fire started sometime between 3 and 4 am. The fire tenders were also rushed to the spot from Chhola station, Pul Bogda and Fatehgarh and despite all efforts, flames leapt up and could be seen from faraway. But it was not before 2:30 pm that the fire was controlled.
The extent of damage and the losses could not be estimated, it could run into lakhs, sources said. It is surmised that a burning cigarette or bidi may have started the fire. An inquiry is likely to be undertaken into the cause of the fire.
The Railway Coach Rehabilitation Workshop is spread over 190 acre and the Industrial Waste Yard is on its premises.
There are no employees at night in the area. The water supply within the factory is through bore-wells and that made it difficult for the fire fighters to procure enough waters from the spot. The tankers had to be called again and again to cope with the situation. Almost 40 water tankers were used to quell the flames.
The bulldozer was also brought. In the past also, the scrap in the factory had caught fire.