Major fire in rubber goods factory | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 26, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Major fire in rubber goods factory

PROPERTY WORTH more than Rs 1 crore was gutted in a massive fire that broke out early this morning in a rubber goods factory situated at Kalpi road industrial estate. Three fire fighters sustained injuries in the operation even as more than 15 fire tenders were pressed into service to control the raging inferno that had not been put out till the reports came in.

india Updated: Sep 24, 2006 00:00 IST

Three fire-fighters hurt; property worth Rs 1 crore gutted

PROPERTY WORTH more than Rs 1 crore was gutted in a massive fire that broke out early this morning in a rubber goods factory situated at Kalpi road industrial estate.

Three fire fighters sustained injuries in the operation even as more than 15 fire tenders were pressed into service to control the raging inferno that had not been put out till the reports came in.

At around 8.30 am this morning workers of the Bajrangbali Industries, a unit of Rupani brand rubber slippers, saw smoke bellowing from the godown of the factory. They immediately informed the factory owner Laxmidas Rupani who rushed to the factory and informed the fire service about the incident.

Before the fire tenders rushed to the scene workers of the rubber factory and other adjacent factories tried in vain to extinguish the fire which destroyed more than 3,500 cartons of highly inflammable rubbers goods.

Soon 15 fire tenders of Fazalganj, Colonelganj and Kakadev fire stations arrived on the scene but they largely remained helpless as the premises also housed some diesel storage tanks which could worsen the situation.

Considering the intensity of the fire, police force from Kakadeo and Fazalganj police stations were rushed to the spot to assist the fire fighting operation. In the process two firemen Narendra Mishra of Colonelganj and Dayashanker of Fazalganj and one SI (fire service), Akhilesh Pratap Singh sustained serious injuries. They were later rushed to a nearby nursing home.

According to the eyewitnesses, the fire probably broke out due to short circuit in the factory godown. But Chief Fire Officer (CFO) Devi Prasad, who refrained from making any comment said, “no safety norms were followed at the premises and there were violations of the rules set for fire fighting.” Although efforts are on to extinguish the fire there is a threat that the fire could spread as a chemical factory and a textile factory is situated adjacent to the site of the incident. Heavy police force has also been deployed in the area to avoid any causality.