Man accused of cheating two brothers held from MP’s hostel | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man accused of cheating two brothers held from MP’s hostel

india Updated: Jul 06, 2013 23:56 IST
HT correspondent
HT correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 47-year-old man was arrested for cheating two engineers, who are brothers, on the pretext of getting them a job in Vishkhapatnam Steel Plant, the police said on Saturday.

Identified as P Bangaru Raju, the accused had cheated the brothers of R15 lakh three years ago. He was recently traced to central Delhi's Connaught Place, said SBS Tyagi, deputy commissioner of police (New Delhi).

"His arrest followed investigations into a complaint made by Gondsei Sri Nagar Reddy and his brother G. Srikanth Reddy, both B. Tech (ECE), who were looking for suitable jobs when they came in contact with the accused in December 2010," said DCP Tyagi.

According to the police, Raju promised to get both of them appointed as 'store men' in the steel company for which R10 lakh each was demanded from them.

After a slight bout of bargaining, the police said, Raju promised them the said jobs for R15 lakh in total. Subsequently, based on the assurances given by Raju, the father of the complainant brothers paid him R14.70 lakh, arranged after selling the family's jewels, in four instalments.

"In order to make his claim seem genuine, Raju had even shown them an appointment letter from the joint secretary of the Union Ministry of Steel. But he fled soon after pocketing the money and severed contact with the two complainants; he communicated with them only over the phone. He had been giving them false assurances since the last two months," DCP Tyagi said.

Recently, the investigation officer of the Vishkhapatnam Police approached the Connaught Place Police Station seeking assistance in tracing Raju. They had traced his last cell phone location near central Delhi's Imperial Hotel.

"His photograph was distributed among the field staff and he was traced to a room in the Western Court from where he was apprehended. He was produced by the IO in a in New Delhi who granted three days' custody remand to be produced before the magistrate in Vishakhapatnam," Tyagi added.