Man shot, dies pleading for help by roadside after UP poll clash

  • K Sandeep Kumar, Hindustan Times, Allahabad
  • Updated: Feb 12, 2016 20:02 IST
Devendra Singh clutches his heart after being shot at in Allahabad’s Bahadurpur district. (TV grab)

A man injured in election-related violence in Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad district died begging for someone to take him to the hospital, triggering bloody protests that wounded policemen.

A bullet pierced through Devendra Singh, 36, after violent altercations rocked the block-level polls in Allahabad’s Bahadurpur district on Wednesday.

One group of men alleged Phulpur Samajwadi Party MLA Sayeed Ahmad was managing votes in favour of one candidate, and turned violent, despite efforts from the police.

Singh fell on the road, bleeding profusely and calling for help. But in the chaos, no official or resident--including the MLA--helped him. His family members, too, couldn’t reach him in the melee.

Eyewitnesses said Singh--the son of a former head of a local village--walked a few metres with the injury and requested many people with bikes to drop him at the hospital. Two men tried to take him to hospital but had to leave him by the roadside because he was bleeding. A police van reached almost 30 minutes later and took him to a local hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.

Two men tried to take Singh to hospital but had to leave him by the roadside because he was bleeding. (TV grab)

His death sparked off violence with villagers resorted to stone pelting and torching vehicles. They set a fire-tender ablaze and injured several policemen.

Authorities deployed heavy force with district magistate Sanjay Kumar, senior superintendent of police KS Emmanuel and other senior officials rushing to the spot to control the situation.

Police registered a case against 20 people including SP MLAs Sayeed Ahmad (Phulpur) and Prashant Singh (Handia) -- along with over 1,000 unidentified people -- and also arrested a man in connection with the murder.

But despite the heavy police presence, announcement of the poll results around 4pm triggered a second round of violence. Supporters of one candidate resorted to arson after the result was declared in favour of Prashant Singh’s brother Rajkumar Singh.

Two SUVs were set afire near the block office. The police opened fire to bring the situation under control. MLA Prashant Singh took shelter inside a house of his supporter and was later escorted by the police. Circle officer, Daraganj, Ganesh Saha and several other personnel were injured in the incident.

also read

Rafale: Parrikar pitches for aircraft parts manufacturing unit in Goa
Show comments