This summer, instead of going for age-old traditional mango recipes, why not try out these fun and unconventional mango delights at home.india Updated: May 25, 2012 00:42 IST
From Alphonso to Dussehri and Langda — are you one of those who wait for summer only to pamper your palate with the juicy, tangy and succulent taste of these tropical delights? Well, nothing compares to the joy of peeling off the skin and biting into a sweet ripe mango, post lunch on a hot summer afternoon.
But if you are looking for more fun this season, we have for you some easy recipes that you can try at home. And we promise, it’s not going to be the same done-to-death mango shakes or mango puddings, but something more exciting. Bon appetit!
Fish with raw Mango salsa
30gm raw mango, 200gm fish, 20gm garlic, 5gm fresh red chilli, 20ml lemon juice, 10gm sugar, 10gm jaggery, 5ml light soya, 2gm salt and 2ml dark soya
To make the sauce, put lemon juice, jaggery, garlic, fresh red chilli, salt, light soya, dark soya sauce together in a mixer and blend well. Now, chop raw mango, fresh red chilli and onion and mix with dressing sauce. Slice fish into uniform fillets or cubes and sprinkle corn flour over it. Pat dry and fry till crisp. Lay the fried fish pieces on a flat platter and pour mango dressing over it. If you are a vegetarian, you can try the same recipe by replacing the fish with tofu or cottage cheese cubes.
-Recipe by Jayanti Dugal,food consultant, Mamagoto
Tangy Mango Chicken
4 pieces broiler chicken, 3/4 cup wine vinegar, 1 tsp dried thyme leaves, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 clove garlic (minced), 2 cups chopped onion, 2 medium mangoes (peeled and coarsely chopped)
Place chicken in large glass bowl. Mix together 1/2 cup of vinegar and thyme; then pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for two hours, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from marinade and arrange in a shallow baking pan; sprinkle with salt. In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, ginger, garlic, onion and remaining cup vinegar.
Add chopped mangoes and bring to boil, stirring, over medium heat; pour over chicken. Place chicken in 325°F oven and bake for about 50 minutes or until the fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken to warm serving dish and keep warm. Pour liquid from baking pan into sauce pan and heat over medium temperature, stirring, about four minutes or until slightly thickened; pour over chicken.
Tangy Mango barbeque
1 1/2 cups mango (peeled, pitted and roughly chopped), 3/4 cup fresh cilantro (loose pack, not chopped, stems and all), 2 red capsicum grilled, 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 4 peeled cloves garlic, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for grill, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, 500gm chicken thigh boneless.
Put the mango, cilantro, red capsicum, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of oil and salt and pepper in food processor and blitz it till smooth. Add the chicken to this marinade. Refrigerate for at least six hours to marinate. Put the other half of the mango mixture into a small sauce pan and simmer over low heat until thick, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
Thread chicken in metal skewer preheat charcoal grill to medium hot. Put reserve marinade in a bowl with brush. Barbeque the chicken, turning and basting about every five minutes until cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the reserved mango sauce and raw mango salad.
-Recipe by chef Ashish Rai, Barbeque Nation
Mango mania in the city
* Summer Coolers: For a refreshing mango drink, you can head to Harem at The Garden of Five Senses. No. 13-17, Gate: Said Ul Ajaib, Saket. Price: Rs 500
* Mango Fest: From mango base virgin mojito, mango smoothie to grilled pork ribs in mango reduction and Sicilian prawn and date pancake with Mango salsa, you will find all of these and a lot more at the ongoing Mango Festival at Bonsai, B 49, Inner Circle, Connaught Place. Meal for two: Rs 1,250 (plus taxes)
* Tangy Bites: Beat the heat with light summer bites such as fish with raw mango and thirst quenchers such as Krabi Island Street Panna at Mamagoto outlets in Khan Market/Select Citywalk Mall, Saket/Pacific Mall, Tagore Garden. Meal for two: Rs 1,300
* Southern delight: Satiate your taste buds with rice dumpling from Karnataka with Mango, Bise Bele Mavina Anna, Meen Manga (Kerala fisherman’s preparation of fish with raw mango) and much more at Zambar, Ambiance Mall, in Gurgaon and Vasant Kunj. Meal for two: Rs 1,500
* Fresh and filling: From raw mango salad to grilled fresh water prawns, mango, avocado and cilantro salsa, Mangoffee pie, Kesari mango and mascarpone cheesecake, come to be wooed by the various flavours of mango at FrescCo in Janpath, Ambiance Mall and IGI Airport. Meal for two: Rs 1,000
* Baked delight: From semi-dried mango and caramel mousse buchee to mango cup cakes, for baked mango delicacies head to the The Food Store at DoubleTree by Hilton, Gurgaon.