Manu Sharma back in jail | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Manu Sharma back in jail

india Updated: Nov 11, 2009 01:26 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Delhi Police on Tuesday said industrialist Samir Thapar was taken into preventive custody for interfering with police interrogation in a nightclub at Samrat Hotel on Saturday.

The Crime Branch has been asked to probe Thapar’s allegation that he was illegally detained.

The police said they had started a probe after receiving a complaint on the phone that some men had misbehaved with a women and other guests at an adjacent hotel.

Thapar, vice president of JCT Limited, denied knowing either Manu Sharma — convicted of Jessica Lall’s murder — or Sahil Dhingra, an exporter.

Sharma and Dhingra were allegedly involved in a brawl at F Bar in Ashoka Hotel with several people including Pranay Singh Dadwal, the son of Delhi police chief YS Dadwal.

Actor Arjun Rampal, co-owner of LAP, said Sharma visited the bar as a guest of Dhingra, a member of the club.

“Dhingra’s membership at the club has also been cancelled,” Rampal told HT.

Delhi Police submitted an enquiry report and the close circuit television camera footage to the government on Tuesday.

The footage reportedly shows Sharma entering the Ashoka Hotel around 1.45 a.m. on Saturday.

Sharma, serving a life term in Tihar Jail, had been granted a parole by the Delhi Government on the condition that his mother in Chandigarh was “seriously ill”.

The 32-year-old convict returned to Tihar's Jail No 2 around 11.45 a.m. on Tuesday though his parole was to end on November 22, jail officials said.

Before entering the jail, Sharma left a hand written letter for his mother repenting his act. The letter was later accessed by HT.

Past cases of Dhingra, Thapar

Both Dhingra and Thapar have past cases of hurt, wrongful restraint and criminal intimidation registered against them at Chanakyapuri police station.

Dhingra and his personal security guard had allegedly attacked a Panchkula-based man, Vikramjeet Singh, and his wife outside the gates of the then Orange Bar in Ashoka Hotel in 2007.

Thapar was arrested in 1997 for allegedly threatening a man identified as Karan Kapoor with an AK-47 rifle, police said. In this case, Thapar was arrested along with his four security guards, police said.