Maoists announce three-month truce in Nepal
The Maoists in Nepal on Wednesday night announced a unilateral ceasefire for three months, halting all types of military offensive with immediate effect.india Updated: Apr 27, 2006 04:38 IST
The Maoists in Nepal on Wednesday night announced a unilateral ceasefire for three months, halting all types of military offensive with immediate effect.
"Our party once again announces a unilateral ceasefire for three months with immediate effect," Maoist Chairman Prachanda said in a statement in Kathmandu.
"During the ceasefire, the People's Liberation Army will not launch any military action," he said while maintaining that King Gyanendra's proclamation on Monday had not addressed Maoists' issues.
Prachanda said the truce was for facilitating the ongoing "people's struggle" for a Constituent Assembly and a democratic republic.
The ceasefire was also intended to encourage political parties to start the process for the Constituent Assembly, he said.
The statement said the Maoists were committed to the 12-point agreement they had reached with the Seven-Party Alliance last November.
Earlier in the day, the Maoists withdrew their blockade of Kathmandu and district headquarters and set a two-day deadline to start the process to form a Constituent Assembly.
The Maoists had announced a similar ceasefire in September last year for four months.