Maoists storm Narganjo flag station in Bihar
Maoists held the cabin master and a porter hostage for more than six hours at the Railway station, reports Vijay Swaroop.india Updated: Apr 21, 2007 23:31 IST
Nearly 100 CPI (Maoists) activists stormed the Narganjo flag station (Jamui district in Bihar) under Asansol rail division of Eastern Railway on Patna-Howrah main line on Friday midnight and held the cabin master and a porter hostage for more than six hours.
As a result of this train movement on the main line remained disrupted from 1 am from Friday night till 7.50 am on Saturday morning. The students going to Kolkata to appear in competitive examination on Sunday were the worst sufferers as the train was detained at Jhajha. It resumed its onward journey at 8 am.
The trains affected by Maoists operation included 5051 UP Poorvanchal Express, 3005 UP Amritsar Mail, 2333 UP Vibhuti Express, 5025 UP Maurya Express, 3111 UP Lal Quila Express, 3039 UP Delhi Janata Express, 2351 UP Danapur Express, 3287 South Bihar Express, 2331 UP Himgiri Express, 8181 Tatanagar-Chapra Express, 3288 Dn South Bihar Express, 2352 Dn Danapur Express, 3022 Dn Mithila Express, 2334 Dn Vibhuti Express, 3006 Amrisar Mail, 5048 Poorvanchal Express, 3420 Dn Muzaffarpur-Bhagalpur Jansewewa Express, 2332 Dn Himgiri Express, 3050 Dn Amritsar Express, 2318 Akal Takht Express and 8184 Dn Danapur-Tatanagar Express.
The incident took place at around 1 am on Friday night. The Naxalites informed the cabin master, M Rewani, that landmines had been planted on rail tracks. As soon as he flashed this message to Asansol control room, the Eastern Railway immediately stopped running of all UP and Dn trains. The Maoists, however, did not allow the cabin master to pass this message in detail and took away the panel board key and both the rail employees along with them, said the Chief Public Relation Manager (CPRO), ER, S Mazumdar.
The Maoists released the railway employees at around 6.30 am on Saturday but did not hand over the panel key. However, the lock was opened with the help of a duplicate key. A tower wagon from Jhajha and a security special train from Asansol with RPF, GRP personnel on board reached the spot and carried out intensive checking of the tracks. The railway team cleared the Dn line for traffic at 7.20 am and UP line at 7.50 am after obtaining clearance from the police, said the CPRO.
This is the third incident of attack on this station in last two years and second within a fortnight. The Naxalites have called a 24-hour bandh in Jamui district from Friday midnight to protest the death of their comrade Balgovind Yadav in Jamui jail recently. Earlier in April 2006, the miscreants had blasted the station building at Narganjo while on April 8, 2007, they had killed two RPF jawans on running train.
On getting the information, security commissioner RPF, ER, DM Jamui and SP Jamui reached the spot. The DRM Asansol, Ajay Kumar Rawal told Hindustan Times that since the law and order is the state subject, he had requested the DM and SP to provide security to passengers. "I've asked the RPF officers to identify the vulnerable stations, strengthen the security and intensify the track patrolling," said Rawal.
Lalu blames Nitish govt for Naxal attacks
Holding the Nitish government responsible for Naxal attacks on trains and railway stations, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad said if the state government had taken effective measures Naxals would have been deterred from carrying out attacks on railway property. Charging the government of limiting itself to merely announcements, he said that no announcement was being implemented. Replying to newsmen's queries during his Phulwariya visit on Saturday regarding the Naxal attack on Narganjo station in Jamui district, Lalu said the capture of Narganjo railway station reflected administrative failure.