Massive fire at Indian Oil depot; many killed | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 14, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Massive fire at Indian Oil depot; many killed

Five persons were killed and 150 others sustained burn injuries in a major fire that broke out after a petrol tanker exploded in Sitapura industrial area in Jaipur on Thursday evening, police said.

india Updated: Oct 30, 2009 09:55 IST

A massive fire broke out at Indian Oil Coporation's fuel depot in Sitapura industrial area in the outskirts of the city tonight killing five persons and injuring 150, police said.

State officials said the help of the Army was sought to help douse the fire at the depot which is on the highway near the airport.

"The fire is massive. We are finding it difficult to douse it," Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said tonight three hours after the fire spread to adjacent depots. The fire broke out at around 7.30 PM and it may be several hours before it is completely brought under control. Deora said he is leaving for Jaipur on Friday.

Dr Ashok Pangudia, Medical Superintendent at SMS hospital, said two persons were brought dead at the hospital while one person was reported to have died in a private hospital. Some of the injured had splinter injuries, he said.

Huge flames shot into the air amid billowing smoke as hundreds of people in the villages in and around the depot panicked and fled from their homes. The fire also spread to some industrial units in a radius of three km destroying them.

Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot said the assistance of Army is being sought to help douse the fire. Some Army
jawans joined the rescue operations.

The injured were rushed to Mahatma Gandhi and SMS hospitals. Some of them had serious burn injuries.

The fire broke out when petrol was being transferred from the fuel depot to a pipeline. A leak in the pipeline is suspected to have caused the blaze.

IOC Chairman Sarthak Behuria told PTI that the fire broke out at a petrol storage tank and quickly spread to other tanks. Police said several explosions were heard.