Maya boots out 6,500 policemen
The Mayawati government scrapped the recruitment of 6,504 constables and suspended 12 senior IPS officers who had headed different recruitment boards, reports M Hasan.india Updated: Sep 12, 2007 00:32 IST
The Mayawati government on Tuesday scrapped the recruitment of 6,504 constables, taken in during the previous regime, and suspended 12 senior IPS officers who had headed different recruitment boards.
The government also lodged FIRs against the suspended IPS officers for irregularities in recruitment of constables.
The constables who lost their jobs had completed their training and were now on probation. Of them, 5,723 were from civil police and 781 from Provincial Armed Constabulary.
Principal Secretary (Home) JN Chamber told reporters that the government took the action on the recommendations of an inquiry panel headed by ADG Shailja Kant Mishra. The panel is examining the recruitment of over 22,000 candidates between 2005 and 2006 by 55 recruitment boards set up by the Mulayam Singh Yadav government.
“The investigation committee unearthed large-scale irregularities in the recruitment of constables,” Chamber said. So far, the panel has submitted 14 reports. Investigations into the other boards would be completed by September-end and then action would follow, he added.
The government has also decided to charge sheet other members of the 14 boards and file FIRs against them.
A fresh recruitment drive would be launched within the next six months, he said.
The suspended IPS officers were IG Chavinath Singh, RN Yadav, SK Mathur, BP Jogdand, Shailendra Pratap Singh, BM Tripathi, BB Bakhshi, Akhilesh Malhotra (all DIGs) and SPs SK Gupta and K Satyanarain. Chamber said the suspension letters of two more DIGs, Mukul Goel and Daljit Singh Chaudhury, had been sent to the central government as both officers were now on deputation to the Centre. Goel is DIG (ITBP) and Chaudhury is OSD to Union Minister of State for Home. Chamber said the central government would issue their suspension orders.