Mayawati presents deficit budget | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 29, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mayawati presents deficit budget

Mayawati presented annual budget for 2007-2008 that proposes no new taxes despite deficit and lays emphasis on welfare of all sections, report Umesh Raghuvanshi and Vijay Sharma.

india Updated: Jun 29, 2007 22:13 IST

Chief Minister Mayawati on Friday presented annual budget for 2007-2008 that proposes no new taxes despite deficit and lays emphasis on welfare of all sections, employment generation and development of infrastructure and power sector.

Taking a dig at Mulayam regime for resorting to populist measures like payment of 'unemployment allowance' and distributing sarees etc. she said instead of launching such ill-conceived schemes the state government would focus on development and generating more employment avenues.

Listing the various allocations made under the budget the Chief Minister said a sum of Rs 18,430 crore has been earmarked for infrastructure development while 512 new schemes with an investment of Rs 8900 crore were being launched.

The budget of energy department has been increased from Rs 9209 crore against last year's Rs 4530 crore, she said.

New power plants would be set up in private and joint sector to generate 10000 MWs of additional power in next five years, she said.

A new scheme titled “Manniya Kanshiram Ji Urban Development Scheme” is being launched to provide interest free loan to urban local bodies, she said.

A sum of Rs 1410 crore has been earmarked for social security schemes. The old age pension, farmers' pension and widow pension etc. would be doubled from Rs 150 per month to Rs 300 per month, she said.

Girls of families living below poverty line belonging to all sections of society would be covered under the “Balika Shri” scheme, she said.

A sum of Rs 203 crore has been allocated for the livelihood of handicapped, she said.

This is for the first time that size of budget has crossed one lakh mark with total budget touching Rs 100911 crore in 2007-2008 about 22 per cent higher than previous year.

Her budget was based on the principle of “Sarvjan Hitay Sarvjan Sukhai” (Welfare of all sections) to achieve objective of an egalitarian society to provide equal opportunities for all, she said adding, this could not be achieved just by organising the Bahujan Samaj.

“We will have to take upper caste Hindus with us,” she said. Chief Minister said 30 per cent posts of SHOs would be reserved for SC/ST and other backward classes while those belonging to religious minorities and other sections of society would be posted on remaining 70 per cent posts.

She said the rate of dearness allowance payable to the employees of state government, local bodies and pensioners has been increased by six percent (from 29 per cent to 35 per cent) wef January 1, 2007.

The Vidhayak Nidhi was being increased from Rs 1 crore to Rs 1.25 crore, she said.

A sum of Rs 395 crore has been earmarked for special schemes of Bundelkhand and Poorvanchal region while Rs 500 crore have been given to fund schemes under backward area subsidy scheme. The drivers of government vehicles would be given an honorarium equal to one-month salary instead of just 15 days salary, she said.

There were thunderous applaud from treasury benches every time she made an announcement about new schemes.

Chief Minister had to take a sip of water and took nearly 70 minutes to complete her 47-page budget speech.

The state government total receipts (including loan receipts of Rs 25083 crore) would be Rs 99709.29 crore while total expenditure would be nearly Rs 100911.41 crore.

This leaves a deficit of Rs 1202.12 crore. As the state government had an opening balance of Rs 5481.47 crore and proposes to draw Rs 1823.08 crore from Public Account the net result of all transactions would come out to be Rs 620 crore and the State Government would have a closing balance of Rs 6102.43 crore at the end of 2007-2008.

Significantly the budget would have a revenue surplus of Rs 6146 crore against the last year's surplus of Rs 1123 crore. Chief Minister also presented vote on account for two months (August and September 2007) that the House passed on Friday.

She said 10 percent growth rate target was being set for 11th Five Year Plan period to bring Uttar Pradesh at part with other developed states. Annual plan size for 2007-2008 has been increased to Rs 30,777 crore, she said adding that this was nearly 39 percent higher than the plan budget of previous year, she said.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature