Mecca Masjid blast accused say no to polygraph, narco tests
Two accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast in Hyderabad on Wednesday denied the CBI's claim that they had agreed to undergo polygraph and narco-analysis tests.india Updated: Jul 14, 2010 16:02 IST
Two accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast in Hyderabad on Wednesday denied the CBI's claim that they had agreed to undergo polygraph and narco-analysis tests.
Devender Gupta and Lokesh Sharma were produced before a local court under heavy security after end of their judicial custody. The Judge asked the two if they had given their consent to the investigating agency for the tests on them.
"Gupta and Sharma told the Judge that they had not given their consent to the CBI for conducting the scientific tests," CBI senior counsel T V Ramana said.
The court posted the matter for further arguments to Thursday and extended their judicial remand for 14 more days.
The Central agency has so far named five persons (all allegedly linked to Hindutva outfits) as accused in the case and brought the two, who are also suspects in the Ajmer dargah blast, to Hyderabad on June 17 as part of their investigation.
It had sought court's permission for subjecting Gupta and Sharma to the scientific tests.
The CBI, which has already questioned the duo during their police custody, in its application had claimed the two had indicated they were prepared to undergo the tests.
In May, the Supreme Court had ruled that forcing someone to go through brain-mapping, narco-analysis or lie detector tests was unconstitutional.