Meena Kumari held, Narasimha on the run | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Meena Kumari held, Narasimha on the run

india Updated: Nov 09, 2010 23:30 IST
Peerzada Ashiq

Bollywood actress and tragedy queen Meena Kumari's namesake, a notorious and wanted stone-thrower, was arrested on Tuesday from north Kashmir's Baramulla district, sparking off stone pelting between security forces and Kumari's supporters.

The police arrested Pervaiz Ahmad, widely known as Meena Kumari for his flicks, from the STRC yard near Baramulla town around 2 pm on Tuesday. The police were keeping a tab in his movement for a long time now.

"Ahmad alias Kumari was absconding for the last two years. He is among the top kingpins and frontrunners, involved in stone throwing and rioting. He would galvanise support for stone throwing, even by coercing youth into it," SSP Baramulla Mansoor Untoo told the Hindustan Times.

Kumari faces ten cases of rioting in the Baramulla police station. "Ahmad has pending cases since the 2008 Amarnath land row. He was very active in enforcing separatists' shutdowns and organizing stone-throwing in the district," said Untoo.

Kumari is among 12 wanted protest organizers in the district. The police said these youth were involved in the cases of extortion from shopkeepers and drivers.

The police are now on a lookout for other stone-throwers, with many having aliases taken from Bollywood movies like Narsimha and Ram Jaani. One protester has named himself after the consumer product "Itch Guard".

It seems the only thread joining hardened pro-Azadi Kashmir street protesters with India is Bollywood with dozens of protesters using Bollywood names either as code names or aliases. "Sanataa" in downtown Srinagar gave police sleepless nights in the recent unrest in the valley. The notorious stone-thrower was finally arrested from Srinagar's downtown area.

Kumari's arrest, however, created a law and order problem in Baramulla on Tuesday. "The supporters of Ahmad took to the streets in the afternoon. One of our sub-inspectors was cornered by the protesters. So we used force to control the situation," said Untoo.

Six civilians were injured in the stone pelting and one critically wounded was admitted to a local hospital. The police fired in the air, lobbed tear-smoke shells and chased protesters with batons to control the situation.