MNS threatens to close down malls, multiplexes from today
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) president Raj Thackeray has threatened to close down mall and multiplexes from Friday, if the state government does not roll back the power tariff concessions granted to commercial users.india Updated: Aug 28, 2009 01:31 IST
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) president Raj Thackeray has threatened to close down mall and multiplexes from Friday, if the state government does not roll back the power tariff concessions granted to commercial users.
Thackeray said he had earlier decided to close down malls and multiplexes on Thursday, but decided to wait till Friday after he got a call from “somebody in the government that a decision would be taken by Thursday evening”.
But Energy Minister Sunil Tatkare said, “We will take a decision on Friday. MNS can take their own decision.”
Thackeray claims that the state electricity regulatory body has been partial to commercial users by giving them power tariff concessions last week and ignoring the common man (see box, The grievance).
A day after he met MERC chairman CP Raja, Thackeray told reporters: “Everybody is passing the buck. The state government says it is Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission’s (MERC’s) decision, while MERC passed the buck to the court. No one is ready to take responsibility.”
He also pointed out that according to the Electricity Bill 2003 of Section 108, the government had the right to intervene in MERC’s decision to sort out the issue, but they were not willing to do so.
“We are consulting some legal advisers and will move the court against the MERC’s decision,” said Thackeray.
“After we warned them on Tuesday about the agitation, few of my party workers were detained. If no action is taken regarding this till Friday, work will be stopped at all malls and construction sites across the state, in MNS style.”