Modasa Muslims vindicated
The arrest of alleged Hindu militants, including a sadhvi from Surat, for the Malegaon blasts last month has vindicated the Muslims of Sabarkantha town, reports Rathin Das.india Updated: Oct 25, 2008 01:17 IST
The arrest of alleged Hindu militants, including a sadhvi from Surat, for the Malegaon blasts last month has vindicated the Muslims of Sabarkantha town here. They have been saying for quite some time that the blast in Modasa — which was on the same day as the Malegaon blast — could be handiwork of Hindu right-wingers.
Though Muslims were primarily the victims of the Modasa blast on September 29, the police had picked up community leaders and former SIMI activists on the premise that terrorism was the prerogative of Islamists alone.
Of about 200 people rounded up for questioning by the Modasa police, as many as 150 were Muslims — including Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, Gujarat, president Mohammad Shafi Madhni.
“We told the police that the blast could be the handiwork of a Hindu militant organisation,” Mohammad Shafi Madhni told HT on Friday. But the police appeared to have made up their mind in advance that some Islamist outfit was behind the blast, lamented Madhni.
Jamaat-e-Islami Hind activists picked up for questioning had also reminded the police about the Kanpur blast in which two Bajrang Dal members were killed while making bombs.
Despite the clues pointing the needle of suspicion towards Hindu militants, some police sources reportedly “leaked out” a theory that the Modasa blast was the result of a conflict between two radical Islamist outfits.
The sadhvi’s arrest, however, has made it difficult for the police to deny the Hindu role. Deputy SP K.K. Mysorewala has now agreed that the involvement of Muslims could be ruled out.
Teesta Setalvad of the Mumbai-based Citizens for Justice and Peace said the Modasa and Malegaon blasts should be viewed in the context of the blast in Nanded in February 2007 when two Bajrang Dal activists were killed while making bombs.