Mosque drops Sania case | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 19, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mosque drops Sania case

Mecca Masjid authorities decide to drop the case against the tennis star for shooting a film inside the mosque premises without taking their permission, reports Ashok Das.

india Updated: Dec 21, 2007 05:16 IST
Ashok Das

The Mecca Masjid authorities have decided to drop the trespass case they filed against tennis star Sania Mirza for shooting a film inside the mosque premises without taking their permission earlier this month, bringing the curtains down on the controversy.

The board meeting of the mosque officials on Wednesday discussed the letter sent in by Sania in which she expressed "unqualified apology" for unwittingly hurting the sentiments of the community. The board was satisfied with her apology and it was decided that the compliant filed against her at the Hussaini Alam police station should be withdrawn.

Thereafter the Mosque officials approached the police authorities with a letter willing to take back the complaint. "We have received a letter from the mosque authorities expressing desire to withdraw the case against the Tennis star.We are examining the issue," said B Redanna. ACP, Charminar, on Thursday.

Senior police officials said that on the basis of the complaint filed by mosque authorities police had already opened a case and the process had started. There are some procedures including securing permission from the government, to be followed before a case is closed. "It may take some time," they said.