Movie channels were blocked from television screens across Mumbai on Tuesday after a police raid on cable TV operators showing movies deemed inappropriate for children.
Police confiscated transmission equipment in a series of raids, shutting down several cable operators. The police raids prompted other operators in Mumbai to suspend the transmission of all programs in protest.
Police officer Sanjay Aparanti, who headed the crackdown said that he was implementing a court order that warned operators to stop broadcasting any movie that is not cleared for viewing by children.
Ganesh Naidu, president of the Cable Operators' Association, said operators had gone off the air in protest. "We cannot be held responsible for monitoring content. Why should we suffer?" said Naidu.
The Bombay High Court last week had asked the police department why it had not acted on a court order issued last year to confiscate the equipment of any operator broadcasting banned movies. Last December, the Bombay High Court had banned broadcasters in Bombay and Maharashtra state from showing movies deemed inappropriate for children.