A massive fire broke out at a cold storage near Balood village in Khargone district on Indore-Khargone road which is about 45km east of district headquarters.
A few employees were trapped inside the Omkareshwar cold storage building and fire fighters were trying to rescue them when this report was being filed. Property and chilli worth Rs 10 crore was reduced to ashes in the inferno.
Sources said the fire started at 7.30pm and it may have started because of a spark from wielding work going on inside the building. At the time of the incident, the cold storage with a capacity to store thousands of sacks of chilli was full.
Fire tenders from nearby villages including Sanawad, Barwah, Maheshwar, Bhikangaon were pressed into service to douse the fire. However, the water filled the atmosphere with an unbearable stench of spices which made the task more difficult. Officials said the building may collapse as the walls have developed cracks because of extreme heat.
In order to save the nearby areas from damage, the police evacuated people living within 2kms from the site of the blaze and also blocked the road.