MP Police despatch viscera of journo Akshay Singh to AIIMS Delhi | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

MP Police despatch viscera of journo Akshay Singh to AIIMS Delhi

india Updated: Jul 07, 2015 03:30 IST
HT Correspondents
HT Correspondents
Hindustan Times
Akshay Singh


Madhya Pradesh police on Monday despatched the viscera and tissues of television journalist Akshay Singh to the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) in Delhi for further examination to determine the cause of his death.

Singh died on Saturday in Jhabua shortly after he was taken ill during an assignment to interview family members of Namrata Damor, a 25-year-old medical college student from Meghnagar in Jhabua district.

Damor was found dead in January 2012, on a railway track near Ujjain after her name figured in the Madhya Pradesh Professional Education Board (MPPEB) scam, also known as Vyapam from its Hindi acronym.

Mayank Singh Chavda, the superintendent of police in Dahod, Gujarat, said they handed over Singh’s post-mortem report to Jhabua police late night on Sunday.

He also confirmed that there were no signs of external or internal injuries on the body.

A panel of doctors that conducted the autopsy at the Dahod general hospital has reserved its opinion on the cause of death.

The forensic department at AIIMS confirmed receiving a letter from the Madhya Pradesh director general of police Surendra Sinh on Monday informing them that viscera samples will be sent for examination to determine the cause of death.

The samples, however, have not reached the hospital yet.

The demand for sending the viscera outside the state was made by Singh's sister in a letter to chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.

Meanwhile, Jhabua SP Abid Khan said that a police officer from Jhabua who is investigating the death of Akshay Singh reached Delhi on Monday to record statements of the deceased’s family members and to gather other information.

Meanwhile, the Safdarjung Hospital on Monday conducted the postmortem of the dean of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Medical College in Jabalpur, Arun Sharma, who was found dead in a hotel in South West Delhi within 24 hours of Singh’s death.

The preliminary results are expected tomorrow.