A multi-storey building was reduced to ashes in a devastating fire on Sunday at Sanjauli township in Shimla rendering a dozen of families homeless.
"More than 10 fire tenders were pressed into service to control the fire spreading to nearby building," Superintendent of Police, RM Sharma said in Shimla.
There was no loss of human life in the fire incident, Sharma said adding that however, losses were estimated worth several lakh. The SP said that the fire had reportedly started from the first floor where half a dozen gas cylinders burst one after the other.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known and ignition due to fire crackers is ruled out, Sharma added. The affected families are being provided some relief, Deputy Commissioner JS Rana said on visiting the spot.
A case has been registered and further investigation was on, the officials added.