Medical students whose admissions had been recommended for cancellation by the Pravesh Niyantran Samiti have got further relief with the Bombay high court saying on Tuesday, that their first year results could be declared.
In January, the Samiti, set up to regulate medical college admissions, had ‘disapproved’ around 250 admissions in private medical and dental colleges on grounds that they violated procedure.
After some students had approached the court, it had, in an order passed on April 5, allowed them to write their first year exams, but had said that results would be on hold pending a further order.
While hearing the matter on Tuesday, the court said that results could be declared but would be subject to further order. Those who passed could be permitted to enter second year. The court said it will next hear the case on August 5.
In a rare first this year, the Samiti had recommended cancelling admissions after the second round in 17 colleges where merit had been allegedly violated, following hundreds of complaints from students.
On Tuesday,Maharashtra also sought the liberty to take a decision on the admission procedure for this academic year in private colleges, which the court has allowed.