Eight months after the Mumbai Police arrested Mohammed Sadique Israr Shaikh for his suspected involvement in the July 2006 serial train blasts, a special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court let him off on Monday.
The alleged co-founder of the terror outfit Indian Mujahideen was let off after the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) informed the court last week that it had found nothing to link him to the seven near-simultaneous blasts that killed at least 183 people and injured 829 others. The ATS found “no sufficient material to indicate Shaikh’s involvement” in the bombings.
The ATS came to this conclusion after questioning Shaikh for over eight months and subjecting him to a series of scientific tests, including brain mapping, lie detector and narco analysis, officials said on condition of anonymity.
Shaikh was arrested by the Crime Branch of the Mumbai Police, which claimed he was involved in the serial blasts. His custody was then transferred to the ATS, which investigated the blasts.
Shaikh apparently controlled and formed the core think tank of the Indian Mujahideen.
The ATS, which got Shaikh’s custody extended twice, said he had made several misleading statements which could not be corroborated.
Shaikh was arrested on September 24 last year along with four other members of the IM module, which according to the police executed “practically all” the bomb blasts across the nation since 2005.