The United States on Tuesday condemned blasts, which ripped through rush-hour trains in Mumbai as "senseless acts of violence" and bemoaned a "terrible tragedy" for the people of India.
"We condemn these attacks in the strongest possible terms. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost loved ones and friends in these attacks," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.
"These are senseless acts of violence designed to strike at those innocent people who were just going about their daily lives, people who were commuting home on a train.
"It is a terrible tragedy for the people of India," McCormack said.
The US government had already been in touch with the Indian government to offer any assistance needed, McCormack said, noting that an investigation had been opened into the attacks, which killed at least 131 people and wounded more than 200.
So far, two Americans were known to have been injured in the attacks, though there had not yet been a full accounting, he said.