Muntari, Boateng expelled before Portugal clash
Ghana stars Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have both been indefinitely suspended from their national team for disciplinary reasons, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) said Thursday.india Updated: Jun 26, 2014 18:34 IST
Ghana stars Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have both been indefinitely suspended from their national team for disciplinary reasons, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) said Thursday.
AC Milan midfielder Muntari, 29, is accused of attacking a member of the management team Moses Armah, while Schalke 04 midfielder Boateng, 27, is said to have verbally abused national team coach Kwesi Appiah, the GFA said on its website.
Both have had their World Cup accreditations withdrawn.
Referring to Muntari, the GFA said: "The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting."
A similar statement explained the measure taken against Boateng.
"The decision was taken following Boateng's vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team's training session in Maceio this week," said the GFA statement.
"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision."
In both cases the GFA said the decisions were taken with immediate effect.
Ghana are due to play Portugal in Brasilia at 4pm GMT.
They need to win and hope there is a winner in the other Group G match between Germany and the USA in Recife at the same time to stand any chance of making the knock-out rounds.
Muntari started both Ghana's games so far in the competition while Boateng came on as a substitute against the United States before then being a starter, who was replaced, in the second match against Germany.