A case of murder has been registered against 14 policemen in the killing of Ranbir Singh who was gunned down in Dehradun on Friday, even as pressure mounted on the state government to order a CBI probe. None of the policemen have been arrested so far.
Late Monday, Ravindra Pal Singh, Ranbir’s father, lodged a case against the 14 policemen, who, he said, had staged his son’s killing.
Dalanwala Station House Officer (SHO) Santosh Kumar Jaiswal, Nehru Colony SHO Rajesh Bisht, Sub-Inspectors Neeraj Kumar, G.D. Bhatt and Chandramohan Singh and others have been booked for murder and rioting.
Ravindra also lodged a case against Circle Officers Ajay Kumar Singh and G.C. Tamta for threatening him and misbehaving with his family.
“Ajay Kumar Singh had threatened me when I had called him up to confirm the incident late Friday night,” Ravindra told mediapersons.
When asked why no arrests had been made, Dehradun SSP Abhinav Kumar said the department had sent the officers to the Police Lines. Action, if needed, would be taken once the investigation was over, he said.
The department, he said, had recommended that the case be investigated by the Crime Branch’s Criminal Investigation Department.
The CB-CID, on Tuesday, launched inquiry into the “encounter”. The team collected all the case documents from the Raipur police station.
NHRC for CBI probe
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said it had suggested a CBI probe into Ranbir’s killing as it felt that “truth should come out expeditiously”.
“… Normally, in cases of encounter, we do not suggest a CBI investigation. But this case has attracted much public attention and we feel that truth should come out expeditiously,” NHRC member P.C. Sharma said in New Delhi.
The rights panel had suggested a CBI inquiry on Sunday.
“The commission has requested the Indian government to lend the services of CBI and convey its concurrence to the CBI inquiry within three days,” it said.
The commission also issued a notice to the Uttarakhand DGP, directing him to submit a detailed report into the matter.
The DGP was also asked to forward the post-mortem and inquest reports to the commission within two weeks.