Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has once again said that free and fair elections could not be held under President Pervez Musharraf's regime, and that the General would do everything in his power to rig the next elections.
He also said that the next general elections would be a farce if he and another former Premier Benazir Bhutto were not allowed to contest.
"These elections would be a farce if me and Benazir Bhutto are not allowed to contest," The News quoted him as saying in London, where he had been staying since 2000.
Nawaz said the present military government was harassing the media to block coverage of its anti-Baloch operation and called upon journalists to fulfil their duty by freely reporting the barbaric actions of the military dictator.
Expressing grave concern on the ongoing military operation in Balochistan, he said hat it was for the first time that Punjab had stood in Opposition to any military operation against the smaller provinces.
According to, Nawaz said that while talking to a PPP delegation comprising Punjab PPP Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Qasim Zia leader of the Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, and Rehman Malik, who called on him here on Monday.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has claimed that the forthcoming polls would be free and fair "under the inspection of international observers".
Federal Information and Broadcasting Minster, Mohammad Ali Durrani said this while addressing a press conference last evening.
He claimed that the MMA was facing internal differences and stood divided and its announcement of tendering resignations from the Assemblies was a 'political gamble'.
The minister also made it clear that the Government wanted all the parliamentarians to complete their respective terms, and added that the government would welcome the MMA legislators if they continue their representation at Parliament.