Muslims take exception to Ayodhya security plan | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Muslims take exception to Ayodhya security plan

india Updated: Jul 04, 2006 17:08 IST
Highlight Story

Taking exception to the reported plan to make the 'garbh griha' (sanctum-sanctorum) of the disputed site at Ayodhya 'bullet-proof', the Muslim parties to the dispute have said it would tantamount to violation of the Supreme Court's direction to maintain status quo.

"There is nothing wrong in strengthening security at the disputed site but there cannot be construction of any structure at the site as it will violate the apex court's guidelines for maintaining status quo there," counsel for the Babri Masjid Action Committee and senior All India Muslim Personal Law Board member Zafaryab Jilani said in Lucknow on Tuesday.

Jilani said he had written a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav opposing the Rs 7.22 crore plan prepared by his government which included construction of steel walls with a wooden roof at the sanctum-sanctorum.

"The situation at the disputed site cannot be changed. The AIMPLB had also passed a resolution in April last year opposing any construction at the site," he said adding construction of steel walls could not be termed as temporary structure.

The UP government has made an elaborate security plan at the disputed site following the terrorist attack on the complex on July 5 last year.

tags