Muzaffarnagar riots: 2 rape victims record statement | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Muzaffarnagar riots: 2 rape victims record statement

Two of the six women allegedly gang-raped during the Muzaffarnagar riots recorded their statements before a court on Tuesday. The statements of three others had been recorded earlier.

india Updated: Dec 10, 2013 22:40 IST
Vasistha Bhardwaj

Two of the six women allegedly gang-raped during the Muzaffarnagar riots recorded their statements before a court on Tuesday. The statements of three others had been recorded earlier.

The women were allegedly gang-raped during the riots at Fugana village of the western Uttar Pradesh district, barely 125 km northeast of Delhi.

The victims have also alleged that rioters set fire to their houses after raping them.

Communal clashes first erupted in Muzaffarnagar on August 27 after the killing of three youngsters in Kaval village. It flared up on September 7 after a clash between two communities following a mahapanchayat (meeting of village councils) convened over the killings.

Violence erupted and also spread to adjoining areas. According to official statistics, 61 people died in the riots and more than 50,000 were forced to flee their homes and take shelter in relief camps.


Relief camp inhabitants say false cases registered on their behalf

More than 15 people residing in relief camps have till now denied registering any cases of violence during the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli.

These revelations were made when a team of the special investigation cell (SIC) approached them to probe the riot cases.

Three persons of Bahavadi village living in relief camps at Kairana contacted SIC’s additional superintendent of police Manoj Jha on Monday and denied registering cases which were being attributed to them.

Read:UP turns its back on Muzaffarnagar's gang-rape victims

Jha said more than 15 people had so far denied registering any cases. All these would be omitted from the list of riot cases after registering their statements, he added.

“No action will be taken against them by the police as they are innocent and it is a matter of investigation to trace out the persons who registered false riot cases,” Jha said.