North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il has told China he has no plans at the moment to conduct a second nuclear test, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
"He expressed that North Korea does not have a plan for a second nuclear test," spokesman Liu Jianchao told reporters, referring to a meeting between Kim and a Chinese envoy in Pyongyang on Thursday last week.
"But if others put further pressure or unfair pressure (on the country), then North Korea may possibly take further measures."
Chinese envoy Tang Jiaxuan's meeting with Kim was the first between a foreign official and the reclusive leader since North Korea conducted its nuclear test on October 9.
Tang and other Chinese officials had made some vague remarks on Friday about the meeting but Liu's comments on Tuesday were the most specific account yet of the encounter.
Liu also denied a South Korean press report that Kim had expressed regret for the initial test.
"I have not heard of Kim Jong-Il apologising," Liu said when asked about the report.