An accidental fire razed the official residence of Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio on Tuesday evening. No one was injured.
The cause of the fire that raged for half an hour was not immediately known. But sources in the chief minister's office said it could have started in the kitchen.
"Mrs Rio was inside the house when the fire broke out after dusk," Rio's media advisor Abu Metha told HT from state capital Kohima. "She is safe."
The chief minister, who returned from New Delhi on Sunday, was in the office adjoining the residence when the fire swallowed the predominantly wooden cottage in Kohima's upscale Minister Hill locality. It was built in 1963 after Nagaland attained statehood.
"More than 80% of the CM's official residence was burnt. The fire extinguishers took time to arrive owing to traffic congestion and the narrow, serpentine road," said a senior police officer.