Nagaland lynching: Situation improving in Dimapur, curfew lifted | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Nagaland lynching: Situation improving in Dimapur, curfew lifted

india Updated: Mar 09, 2015 15:23 IST
Nagaland's Dimapur


The situation in Dimapur town of Nagaland, which witnessed the lynching of a rape accused by a mob on Thursday last, was showing signs of improvement on Monday with lifting of the curfew and resumption of business activities after three days.

The number of arrests in connection with the incident have gone upto 43 on Monday even as prohibitory orders under Sec 144 CrPC are in force, Additional SP, Dimapur, Kakheto said.

Curfew that was clamped on Sunday and relaxed from 6 am to 12 noon was not reimposed on Monday, the ASP said.

A total of 43 persons have been arrested, the ASP said, adding, "Arrests are being made and the police is on the job to nab all those who were involved."

As a pre-emptive measure, the Dimapur Police has asked all business establishments to close down shops from noon, he said.

DIG (Range, NAP) Liremo Lotha said in the morning that the situation was "under control".

Business activities had begun with markets opening after three days.

Internet and SMS/MMS blackout in the state, which started on Saturday night after videos related to the lynching of the rape accused in Dimapur surfaced on the net, will continue till 6pm on Monday, official sources said.

The accused, Syed Farid Khan, was arrested for raping a woman in Dimapur on February 24 and remanded in judicial custody the following day.

On March 5, a mob broke into Dimapur Central Jail, dragged him out, stripped him naked, beat him up, pelted him with stones and dragged him towards the centre of Dimapur town, seven kilometres away. He died from his injuries on the way after which the mob displayed his body from a clock tower.

He was buried at his native Bosla village in Karimganj district of Assam amidst tight security Sunday.

Preliminary medical report of the woman confirmed that she had been raped, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) G Akheto Seema had said on Sunday.