Chief minister Virbhadra Singh on Friday said the names of people responsible for large-scale telephone tapping would soon be in public domain.
“Those responsible for telephone tapping will be tried under relevant section of the law,” Singh told mediapersons on the sidelines of the launch of website of the prisons department.
“From home minister to home secretary, whosesoever is responsible for illegal phone tapping, will not be spared,” he said.
“If phones have been tapped, someone must have issued the orders,” he said, reiterating that he too was not spared by the previous Dhumal government.
“We are not interested in listening to former chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal's telephonic conversation. “ I know what he says in the media and with what intentions,” he said.
Meanwhile, the government spokesperson denied the allegations levelled by the BJP that the chief minister was influencing the investigations into the phone tapping.
“Hard discs from the offices of the CID and the state vigilance and anti-corruption bureau were seized strictly in accordance with law to ascertain whether telephone interceptions were carried out in accordance with the Indian Telegraph Act or not,” said the government spokesperson.
He said the hard discs seized were sent for analysis by a team of the State Forensic Science Laboratory, Junga, which was duly constituted by the government. He said preliminary inquiry on the forensic report prima-facie revealed that there was violation of The Indian Telegraph Act.
He said, “The anti-corruption bureau functions with complete autonomy when it comes to investigation of cases.” He said there was no interference of the government in the investigations. The outcome of the investigation would be subject to scrutiny by a competent court of law, he added.
The official spokesman said all action taken in the matter had been strictly in accordance with the law. The allegations being made were false and an attempt to subvert the due process of law.