Maintaining that the allegations made by public prosecutor Arvind Pandya against Nanavati-Shah Commission could have serious consequences, Chairman of the Commission Justice GT Nanavati on Monday said "unless we verify the facts, we will not take any action".
"We need to know the full facts (behind Pandya's allegations and Tehelka exposure on the self-confessed role of rioters in the post-Godhra violence in 2002)," he said.
"We also have to ascertain how reliable the expose is. We cannot act in a hurry. We have to be careful," Justice Nanavati told reporters in Ahmedabad.
(The allegations made against the Commission are more serious than contempt) "It may have serious consequences", Justice Nanavati said, adding action could be initiated under the Commissions of Enquiry Act.
The government has submitted a CD of the footage of the sting operation that was telecast by a television channel last week.
Justice KG Shah said that the government has left it to the Commission to take an appropriate decision in this regard.
The CD was submitted by the Gujarat government's Home Department.
Meanwhile, Jan Sangharsh Manch, an NGO, representing a section of post-Godhra riots victims, submitted an application to the Commission asking it to conduct an enquiry into the serious allegations made by public prosecutor Arvind Pandya and order appropriate action against him for belittling the Commission in public eye.
Subsequent to the controversy generated by his allegations, Pandya had resigned as public prosecutor of the Commission.