Nations must review climate plans in next 5 years: Jairam Ramesh | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 20, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Nations must review climate plans in next 5 years: Jairam Ramesh

There must be a commitment in Paris to have a new generation of INDCs in five years from now, because these INDCs, submitted by countries ahead of COP21, is not going to be sufficient to meet the 2°C target, said former environment minister Jairam Ramesh

india Updated: Dec 06, 2015 00:21 IST
There must be a commitment in Paris to have a new generation of INDCs in five years from now, because these INDCs, submitted by countries ahead of COP21, is not going to be sufficient to meet the 2°C target, said former environment minister Jairam Ramesh
There must be a commitment in Paris to have a new generation of INDCs in five years from now, because these INDCs, submitted by countries ahead of COP21, is not going to be sufficient to meet the 2°C target, said former environment minister Jairam Ramesh(Sanjeev Verma/HT Photo)

The climate action plans submitted by countries are not going to be sufficient to cap global warming at 2°C, former environment minister Jairam Ramesh said on Saturday and asked the nations to commit to review their current voluntary targets in the next five years to achieve this goal.

Ramesh said although India has set an ambitious target of generating 40% its electricity from non-fossil fuels by 2030, he cautioned that the remaining 60% is going to come from fossil fuels and termed it as “India’s climate conundrum”.

Ramesh was speaking at the two-day GLOBE COP21 Legislators Summit in the National Assembly.

Later talking to reporters, Ramesh said in the two climate summits of 2009 and 2010, his stand that India will cut its emission intensity by 2020 and that every country has to take responsibility was criticised “severely” by BJP and the same stand is now being taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government.

Ramesh also outlined three execution essentials – commitment (to implement INDCs), MRV (Monitoring, Reporting and Verification) of INDCs (Intended Nationally Determined Contributions) and rolling out of new generation of INDCs — for the success of COP21.

INDCs which all countries have submitted are voluntary pledges that countries are making to cut carbon pollution.

“The INDCs are a bottom up process, but there must be a commitment in Paris to have a new generation of INDCs in five years from now, because these INDCs, submitted by countries ahead of COP21, is not going to be sufficient to meet the 2°C target.

“We know that no country is going to unveil new INDCs in Paris, but what every country must undertake in Paris is to review the current portfolio of INDCs may be five years from now, revisit what it can do to increase the level of ambition,” he said.

“If we leave Paris with the bottom-up commitment architecture and MRV we are not going to do justice to the climate change challenge. So, second essential outcome is architecture of MRV,” he said.