Naveed trained at same LeT camp where Lakhvi was captured | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Naveed trained at same LeT camp where Lakhvi was captured

india Updated: Aug 10, 2015 13:23 IST
Rezaul H Laskar
Rezaul H Laskar
Hindustan Times
Udhampur attack

The sole militant caught alive after a terrorist attack on a BSF convoy that was travelling on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway in Udhampur district about 85km from Jammu, on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 (Agency Photo)

Mohammad Naveed, the Pakistani terrorist captured after a deadly ambush on a BSF convoy, trained at the Lashkar-e-Taiba camp in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir from which operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi was arrested after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Naveed revealed during his questioning over the past few days that he came in contact with the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in 2011, when he was in his early teens. After getting basic training at the LeT’s Gari Habibullah camp, he was trained for three months in handling firearms at the Shavai Nallah camp in PoK.

Days after the assault on Mumbai by a 10-member LeT team in November 2008, Lakhvi had been arrested from the same Shavai Nallah camp near the PoK capital Muzaffarabad.

Pakistani soldiers backed by helicopters had raided the Shavai Nallah camp on December 7, 2008 and arrested Lakhvi and several others after a brief gun battle. After being held in jail for more than six years, Lakhvi was freed on bail in April this year.

Read: Captured terrorist Naveed's neighbours in Pakistan confirm address

Naveed was captured on August 5 after he and an accomplice ambushed a BSF convoy in Udhampur and killed two troopers. Naveed told investigators he was a resident of Ghulam Mohammadabad area of Faisalabad city in Pakistani Punjab. The accomplice, who was gunned down by security forces, was identified by officials as Mohammad Noman, a resident of Bahawalpur.

During his interrogation in Udhampur, the Joint Interrogation Centre in Jammu and Srinagar, Naveed provided information about his journey from Rafique Colony in Ghulam Mohammadabad to Udhampur, where he was caught, the Indian Express reported.

The daily said the interrogation report (IR) quoted Naveed as saying he came in contact with the LeT in 2011.

“He was motivated by one Bashir in Faisalabad to join Lashkar. He (Bashir) took him to a Lashkar office in Faisalabad. In the same year, (Naveed) was taken to Gari Habibullah training camp of Lashkar where he underwent 21 days of training,” the report said.

“After completion of the training, he returned home. He was, however, in constant touch with Bashir who further motivated him to go to Muzaffarabad for three months arms training.”

According to the interrogation report, “In August/ September 2014, (Naveed) was taken to Shavai Nallah training camp of Lashkar, where he was given arms training for three months. He was imparted training in handling AK-47, pistol and grenade throwing.”

Naveed spoke about his stay at the Shavai Nallah camp as if it was a “school picnic”, an unnamed official told the daily. “Naveed talks and then suddenly gets disoriented and starts speaking about home.”

He appears to be a “teenager who doesn’t even understand the purpose of his near suicidal mission”, interrogators added. A senior officer who questioned him said Naveed was “happy to be alive” and feels “as if we are sending him home”.

Naveed’s father Mohammad Yaqoob is a manual labourer while his mother is a housewife. He dropped out of school after Class V because of poverty at home.

Read: Pakistan man admits he is Naveed's 'unfortunate father'

The interrogation report suggested Naveed was born in 1995, making him 20, though one of the officers who questioned him believes he might be a few years younger. Naveed was summoned for the attack in Jammu and Kashmir in March, the report said.

“He was called by Lashkar commanders to another camp, Forward Kahutta, and kept there till he was launched to J&K.” The report stated four LeT men were sent across the LoC and Naveed knew the others only by their code names – Aqasha, Mohammad Bhai and Noman.

The interrogation report said the four men crossed the LoC in Gulmarg sector and a man named Khurshid acted as their guide. They were also aided by a Let commander named Ubaid, who is a Pakistani national.

The report provides details of the LeT terrorists and other persons who helped and sheltered the four terrorists in different parts of Kashmir. On August 5, Naveed and Noman targeted the BSF convoy with AK-47 rifles and grenades. After they killed two troopers, Noman was gunned down while Naveed fled from the spot. He was overpowered and captured soon after by residents of a nearby village.

Read:Pak militant Naved says he came through Kupwara sector two months ago

Pak says no Naved in national database, India rejects claim