NBW against Sanjay Dutt | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

NBW against Sanjay Dutt

india Updated: May 29, 2011 03:14 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A local court in Mau district on Saturday issued a non-bailable warrant against actor Sanjay Dutt for not appearing before it in connection with a case in which the latter allegedly made a communally sensitive remark during the campaigning for the Lok Sabha election of 2009.

Judicial magistrate Krishna Kumar issued the warrant in the case filed by the station house officer of a police station in Mau, eastern UP. The case was registered on April 14, 2009, saying the same day Dutt, while campaigning in Mau for Samajwadi Party candidate Arshad Jamal, had made a “controversial communal statement”.

Dutt had reportedly said he had been victimised under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act (for allegedly possessing an AK 47 and he got a six-year jail term for this) because his mother was a Muslim.

The court issued the first summons in the name of Sanjay Dutt in December 2009. Since then there have been four dates for hearing the case but Dutt has not appeared once.

However, Dutt’s lawyer RK Singh questioned the order saying there was a revision petition filed at the court of the district judge seeking exemption from personal appearance.

The court also issued summons against co-accused Jamal. It said if the report on serving summons was not submitted on the next date of hearing on July 8, action would be taken against the official concerned.