NDFB expels founder president for Assam serial bombings
The frontline Assam tribal separatist group National Democratic Front of Bodoland has expelled its founder president DR Nabla alias Ranjan Daimary for his role in the serial explosions in October that killed nearly 100 people.india Updated: Jan 01, 2009 19:29 IST
The frontline Assam tribal separatist group National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) on Thursday expelled its founder president DR Nabla alias Ranjan Daimary for his role in the serial explosions in October that killed nearly 100 people.
The decision by the outlawed NDFB to expel its former president follows a confessional statement by arrested rebel leader Ajay Basumatary that the serial explosions Oct 30 in Assam were masterminded by Nabla.
"We are shocked and surprised that DR Nabla was directly involved in the series of explosions. The NDFB, therefore, unanimously decided to expel Nabla from the outfit as a disciplinary action," B Sungthagra, the new president of the NDFB, said in a statement to IANS.
"The act (serial explosions) is undoubtedly an act of terrorism and can never be part of a revolutionary struggle," the rebel statement said.
The NDFB, blamed for the October serial bombings in Assam, replaced its Bangladesh-based president last month with a new leader and announced its decision to contest next year's parliamentary elections either "directly or indirectly".
The NDFB general assembly that met Dec 15 replaced its founder president Nabla and appointed his deputy Sungthagra alias Dhiren Boro as their leader.
The NDFB is a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland for the Bodo tribe with the outfit in a ceasefire with New Delhi since 2005. The ceasefire expired on Wednesday but the central government is yet to extend it.
Home Minister P Chidambaram told journalists in New Delhi on Wednesday that the ceasefire extension with the NDFB would depend on the report of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) currently probing the Assam bombings.
"We have asked the central government not to extend the ceasefire with the NDFB," said Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday.
The NDFB was one of the prime accused in the wave of bombings in Assam Oct 30 where close to 100 people were killed and 300 more wounded.
Nabla last week claimed he was still the president of the NDFB despite the outfit's national assembly deciding to remove him from the post.