Nervous after Stephen’s cut-off shock | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 21, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Nervous after Stephen’s cut-off shock

Delhi University hopefuls are on tenterhooks after St Stephen’s College jacked up its cut-off marks by a maximum of 7%. Shaswati Das reports.

india Updated: Jun 24, 2012 23:07 IST
Shaswati Das

Delhi University hopefuls are on tenterhooks after St Stephen’s College jacked up its cut-off marks by a maximum of 7%.

The decision to release DU’s first list of cut-offs late on Monday has set the pulse racing among the thousands seeking to make the grade in some of the most coveted courses and colleges in the varsity.

DU officials indicated that the cut-offs may not hit the 100% mark as they did last year. The officials added that the cut-offs for all courses could be 1% higher than those last year.

“A minimum rise of 0.5-1% is expected in cases of courses the cut-offs for which last year ranged between 90% and 100%. The cut-offs for BCom (Hons) and BA (Hons) in economics in all colleges will most definitely rise by at least 1%. Hopefully, last year’s situation will not be repeated, and there may not be a 100% cut-off for any subject,” said a senior DU official.

The cut-offs had ranged between 95% and 100% for BCom (Hons) and between 93% and 98.5% for economics honours across colleges such as Hindu, Hansraj, Sri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) and Lady Sri Ram (LSR). This year, the figures may see steep jumps.

“For most of the courses, there will be a minimum hike of 1-3%. In the first cut-off list, all courses, including BA (Programme) will see a jump. Courses such as economics honours will see a 2-3% year-on-year jump. Last year, the cut-off for the course was 95% for science students,” said VCS Rao, media coordinator, Sri Venkateswara College.

Courses such as BA (Hons) in psychology and BA (Programme), which stood at a maximum of 96% in the first cut-off list in some colleges, may spike this year. “Before the final cut-off list is released, the admission committee will meet. But in all likelihood, cut-offs for all courses will see a 1-2% jump. For subjects such as BCom (Hons), the cut-off might see a 2% jump — just to be on the safe side,” said a Hindu College official.

This, colleges said, was largely because of aspirants randomly opting for courses and colleges in their pre-admission forms, which is likely to push up the cut-offs. However, the colleges also assured that the second and third cut-off lists would provide a clearer and more realistic picture.

“For courses that had a cut-off last year between the 90-100% category will pick the first 300 applications and the number of students who have scored above 90% will decide this year’s cut-off for the different subjects,” said Sanam Khanna, professor, Kamla Nehru College.